Spreadsheet row to format text file

I’m trying to take a spreadsheet row of data and convert each row into a text file. Is this possible?

here is an example;

Take each row in spreadsheet and replace the ### below with row data

row1 = {saying: ["###"]}
row2 = {saying: ["###"]}

Hi @izzy,

Welcome to the community :wave:

Parabola is unable to generate text files at the moment, but we can export CSV files. Just note, you’ll need to create a separate branch using the “Generate CSV” step for every row that you want to export. Is that a feasible solution?

Additionally, are you trying to integrate with another platform? If so, our “Send to an API” step will automatically make a separate request for each row and push your data.

Feel free to also post this in the #feature-requests section of our community forum!

either a CSV export or even a json, as long as I can then copy and paste the results

Hi @izzy,

Here’s a basic template of what that looks like in Parabola. I’m using the “Pull from Google Sheets” step to mock out your data.

Start by using the “Insert row numbers” step to add a column with ascending row number values.

Next, use a “Filter rows” step to target your row. You may have to create a lot of branches depending on the number of rows in your source data.

Lastly, use the “Generate CSV file” step to create a CSV file containing that row.

Let me know if that works!

This seems it might work only your example seems reversed. In my case the first step, I need to take the spreadsheet row and somehow fill in where it recognizes the ### in the data (a find and replace)

This way I end up converting the row from the spreadsheet into new data

Does this make sense?

For example:

Spreadsheet row contains A | B | C

I need convert that row and fill in the ### so I go from this: example = {saying: ["###"]} to this: example = {saying: [“A”]}, example = {saying: [“B”]}

My bad, I should have included extracting all columns data within that row

Hey @izzy,

Try using the “Unpivot columns” step along with an “Insert text column” step to transform your data to the desired output.

This image shows how the data is mocked in your source file:

Here’s the output before we filter each branch into a separate CSV file:

Copy the below snippet to your clipboard and paste it into your flow. It will duplicate the step settings listed above. All you need to do is add in your source file!

parabola:cb:c89df24b07f342d0b5fbfedf2cf8fa8a

Thanks Daniel, this is working so far. I need 1 single CSV file, would I just add all the rows in the “filter rows step” instead of splitting them up ?

Glad that works!

If you need a single CSV file, remove the “Insert row numbers” and “Filter rows” steps. You can simply add a “Generate CSV file” after the “Find and replace” step.

Cool! One more hiccup :slight_smile: I’m trying to add a column of data with a new spreadsheet step so I can merge it with the “new value” column - but it won’t let me “sources cannot receive input”

any workaround?

Hey @izzy,

The error message you’re receiving is caused when you try to plug a step into a “Pull from Google Sheets”, “Use CSV file”, or “Use Excel file” step.

Instead, try using another “Insert text column” step to create a new column merging the data from the New Value column with additional text.

Let me know if that helps! Otherwise, it may be easiest to share a screenshot of your flow to get a better understanding of how you want to merge the data.