Can I stop a Flow from emailing a CSV if there are Zero Rows?

Hi - I am stuck and hoping someone can help…

After filtering an INPUT.CSV I sometimes get zero matching rows - so just a header row is left.

Is there a simple way I can check if the data set is ‘empty’ and terminate the flow at this point and stop the “Email a CSV Attachment” step from running and sending me an empty CSV?

Cheers in advance

Charlie

Hello @Charlie_Muir!

That’s an interesting question. To clarify on the expected behavior of the step Email a CSV attachment, a flow will run and use credits even if there are 0 rows by the time it reaches the end if it ends with this export. A CSV file isn’t emailed if the data set reduces to 0 rows by the time it reaches Email a CSV attachment. You can check if a flow with this export ran and used credits, despite not receiving a CSV file, by going the flow’s Live mode section Run History for an entry with (0 rows).

If you’re seeing a flow’s Live Run History section with entries of (1 row) (or any number greater than 1), this means a CSV file was emailed.

To clarify, are you noting that after your flow ran, you received a blank-appearing CSV file with a header row in it? Can you screenshot or explain what you’re seeing in your flow’s Email a CSV attachment step? If the file you’re receiving is completely blank (no headers), we’re happy to troubleshoot with you to find a solution.

Thanks @Adeline and I will try to add some more info:

The CSV that is being processed has a header row and multiple rows of data below. When I apply a row filter it can reduce the data rows to zero and leave only the header row. This still counts as (1 row) and is emailed to me as CSV - but in effect the CSV is ‘empty’ of data.

I need the Header row in when there is 1 or more data row bit dont want a CSV that only has a header row - I hope this makes sense?

I was wondering if there was a way to stop the flow if Total Rows=1 or if Cell A2= Null

I am very happy to use a credit to run the flow as it will have completed the task required and take the daily noise away from me :slight_smile:

Cheers

@Charlie_Muir thanks for clarifying on that! A flow with only a header row by the end of it should be displaying in the Live Run History with (0 rows) entry and a CSV file wouldn’t be emailed. If I’m understanding this correctly, it sounds like you’re emailed a CSV and the Run History is labeling a header row as (1 row). Can you email help@parabola.io the link to this flow and the empty-looking CSV file next time this happens? We’ve tried and aren’t able to reproduce this experience in tests, though will investigate why it repeated if it occurs again for you. :slight_smile: