Compare different tabs at the same time

I have different tabs in a Google Sheet and I want to compare the data of all of them to get the duplicates (I just want to get the duplicates, It doesn’t matter if It is only duplicated in two tabs)
How can I do that?
Thanks!

Hey Alex!

Is a duplicate defined as every column’s value in a row matching every column’s value in a different row? Or are there specific columns that, if matching, constitute a duplicate?

Hi Brian
For instance, I have one column in a Google Sheet with many items, some of which are duplicated and I want to know which of them are duplicated and (if possible) know how many times are duplicated
Thanks!

Hey Alex,

Okay here is what to do:

Import all of your tables with separate Google Sheets Imports. One of these tables should be your primary table - the one that has all the rows you want to check for duplicates of.

Send the data from every table into its own Count Values step and set it to count the column that you are using for this comparison. That should give you a count of the number of times each value if that column exists in that table. If your table has not duplicates within itself, that column will be all 1’s.

Connect all of your tables from the Count Values steps to a Join step.
In the Join step, set your primary table at the top, and the set up your rule to compare that column across all tables.

You should end up with a table that has a column for the items that are being compared, and a column for every table, with the number of times each item exists in that table. The cells will be blank when the item does not exist in a certain table.

1 Like

Hi Brian
Many thanks for your answer, Parabola It is really useful
After I know which items are duplicated I want to get all the information of the rows in which the items are located. I would like to have one google sheet with all the info of the items that aren’t duplicated and another sheet with the info of the items that are duplicated
How can I do that?
Thanks for your patience!

Hey Alex,

I think I understand what you are trying to do, but I’d like to double check.

After you add the steps I described above, you will have a table showing you how many instances of each item exist across every table.

Would you like to then break that table into two groups - one of the rows that have no duplicates found, and one of rows that have duplicates? And then include all the other row information for each item before you export?

1 Like

Yes, exactly I would like to divide into two gooogle sheets (one with duplicates and another without duplicates) and then include all the other info I have, before I export

I have more questions, So I ask you all together.
If I have many values in a column, how can I keep only some certain values? (Ex I have many languages (English, Spanish, Chinese… and I only want to keep the English and Spanish)

Thanks

Hey Alex! What you’ll want to do is set up two Row Filter steps to create the different branches:

1. A Row Filter step that identifies the rows where Count is greater than 1
  2. Another Row Filter step that identifies the rows where Count is equal to 1

Then, you’ll use two Join steps to join the other columns back into the table. For each Join step, connect the Row Filter step first and then connect the step that contains the full table including all the rows and columns.

Should look like this:

And you’ll want to set up your Join step like so:
Note: Company Name is just my dummy column, so you should use the appropriate column name for your step.

As for your next question about filtering for certain language values in a column, can you actually post that as a separate topic? This way if other customers have to solve a similar problem, they can find it a bit easier. Additionally, it would be great if you can include a screenshot of how that column is currently formatted on your end.

2 Likes