Best Way to Summarize a Table

Hey everyone! I’m trying to figure out a way to summarize a table (think the values at the bottom of Airtable) with values like count, average, sum etc. However, I am not sure how to do that…

I tried the “Group By” block and the count works but that introduces a problem of needing to rename columns and replace text. Also, some tables might come out to be empty and I can’t use “Group By” in that case. Does anyone have any recommendations?

1 Like

Hey Temirlan! Welcome to the community, and thanks for posting! That is a good question.

In general, we try to steer folks away from adding summary rows to the bottom of tables. This is because it breaks the paradigm that Parabola user, which is that all rows represent the same type of thing. If you have a summary row, that row now represents a summary of the table above it, instead of representing another “item” in the table.

That being said, it is doable! You’ll no longer use the Group By step, as we just (yesterday) made a change to break out each of its functions into separate steps (Sum Values, Average Values, etc.). If you serach “Group” in the sidebar of your flow, you will see them all/

Let’s say you want to do this as a row that is the sum of the table. You would use the Sum Values step to create the sums for each column, leaving the grouping column option blank, which would give you a single row of all of the sums. You only need to choose to apply it to the columns that have values that are can be summed.

Then, use a Column Filter to remove the Group column that says Total.

If you summed every column available in your dataset, skip this step. If you did not, then you will need to use a Column Rename step to rename your columns to remove the “(sum)” piece that was appended to their names.

Use a Table Merge with your main table as the first arrow into it (#1), and your total row as the second arrow into it (#2). Enable the option to match on column names.

This will create a table with a sum at the bottom of each column! Let me know if that works for you.

2 Likes