Merging multiple rows in one API call

I have a simple workflow which reads some data from an Excel file and pushes the data to an API. This API can process up to 50 records with one post-request.
How can I combine multiple records for this kind of post?

Hey @Bjoern_Greiff - If I’m understanding you correctly, it sounds like you have an Excel file with ~50 records that you’d like to post to an API in a single request.

This should be doable by passing the column name as a variable (wrapped in curly braces {}) in the Body of your POST request.

Can you post a screenshot of how your Send to API step is currently configured? Also, can you share the documentation for the API you’re posting to?

Hello, here the workflow and the API Posting logic

Hey @Bjoern_Greiff,

Thanks for sharing your step configuration. It looks like you referenced the column values correctly.

If your Send to an API step has up to 50 rows, this POST request will create a new record for every row in your export using dynamic values from each column wrapped in curly brackets {}.

For values that are not wrapped in curly brackets, they will be applied to every record you create. For example, every record will have a timezone_cd value of 0.

Let me know if you need further clarification!

I think there are two things needed:

1. Splitting the 3000 records into bulks of 50
  2. Making one post request for a bulk

I haven’t looked for the first, but I hope you have a standard function for that. But the second one I don’t understand how to do this. In the Post to API I an addressing a single record. How can I get access to all records of the table?

Hi @Bjoern_Greiff,

To split 3,000 records into bulks of 50, you’ll have to split them up using additional transform steps. We don’t have a standard function for this at the moment.

After your Format dates step, add an Insert row numbers step. This will create a column with ascending values. We can then use a Filter rows step to target which rows are sent to the API.

In your current Request Body, the JSON is referencing every value in a column since the columns are wrapped in curly brackets {}. As it stands, your POST request will post a separate record for every row in your column.

If it’s easiest, feel free to reach out to help@parabola.io. Send us a link to the API documentation and we can look into it.